With the unemployment rate being what it is entrepreneurship just maybe the only answer for your teen finding work this summer. Sue Shellenbarger discussed a few possible business ideas for teens in her recent Wall Street Journal article Cupcakes and Cattle Breeding: Teens Turn to Summer Start-ups.
I did some research on my own and came up with the following selection of organizations encouraging teen entrepreneurship:
- National Foundation for Teaching Entrepreneurship
- Junior Achievement
- Initiative for a Competitive Inner City, or ICIC- the Growing Up CEO program
- Teen Business Link, the SBA site for teenagers interested in starting a business
- Independent Means, the leading provider of financial education products and programs in the United States.
- Also see Entrepreneur magazine, Teen Business Sites for more organizations.
Starting a business at a young age is a priceless (no pun intended!) experience. I encourage you to support your teenager and be prepared to learn along the way as well.
Let us know how it goes.